MORE IDLEWILD | THE BUILDING PROJECT
In the summer of 2016, following the More Idlewild capital campaign, the Building Committee began working with architects to develop plans for the upcoming project. There are two major project areas:
The Jones Building will be completely updated and modernized. All the first floor will be the children's center, with it's own outside entrance; on the second floor, recreation facilities will be expanded and the gym remodeled, a new kitchen will be added, and flexible meeting halls and classrooms will be created; and the third floor will be classrooms, a youth area, an updated library, and the pottery studio.
A new main entrance will be built on the west side, between the Sanctuary and Jones Buildings (where the alley is). It will be large, welcoming, fully accessible and open to both buildings.
The Sanctuary Building will be updated in a few areas only. The Trippeer Chapel will be remodeled and made accessible directly from the new entrance, new restrooms will be added where the kitchen currently is, and small modifications may be made elsewhere.
Following the design and planning stages, we anticipate having a general contractor selected in early 2017 to assist with pre‑construction activities. The preliminary schedule projects construction will begin in the fall of 2017. Phase one of construction, which includes the new Children’s Center, will most likely be completed in June 2018, and we expect the final project to be finished by the end of 2018.
Progress Reports from the Building Committee
Update - March 2107
The Session has approved the Building Committee’s recommendation of Linkous Construction Company as pre-construction phase contractor for our building and renovation project. Founded in 1983, Linkous Construction is led by its founder, R.E. Linkous, and his sons, Rusty and Jamie. Jamie and his family are Idlewild members.
A dedicated Linkous team will be working closely with the architectural firm, brg3s, to determine the final plans, details and costs. The project is moving forward in the pre-construction phase. Once this is done, we will be close to a construction date.
The Building Committee is confident that Linkous is the right fit for Idlewild and looks forward to working with their team. The entire Linkous team is well-informed and committed to our project. They have great tenure with Linkous, broad experience and history with church projects. We are especially impressed with their track record and strong client endorsement in working collaboratively with congregations; Germantown Presbyterian Church, Highland Street Church of Christ and the Holy Rosary Parish Life Center are just a few examples. They are very familiar with our neighborhood, as they recently completed the mid-town Kroger.
Stay tuned for more details as the project progresses, and be sure to come to the April 30 potluck featuring tours and trivia.
Update - February 2107
- We are nearing the final planning stages for the renovation of the Jones Building. As with any big project, planning is key—and because the Jones Building is quite old, preconstruction preparation involves more in-depth work. While we await specific construction dates, we know that some big changes are coming this summer.
- The Children’s Center will be closed by the end of May. There will not a summer camp. Plans are to open the new Children’s Center in fall 2018.
- Non-church groups that use the Jones Building have been asked to find new locations by the end of May. (Those include Girl Scouts, HopeWorks, Wings gymnastics, and others.) Events in the Sanctuary Building are not changing.
- VBS and MAD Camp (June 12-15) will be held in the Jones Building.
- Other activities could be effected as early as mid-June, Ministry leaders are well into making plans for all our activities and classes during the renovation.
- Space planning for regular church events (like Sunday school) as well as onsite storage will be coordinated by staff and the building committee; Changes will be communicated as soon as possible.
- Clearing out the Jones Building and organizing space and storage will be a big project—and many hands will be needed! Watch for ways you can help.
Update - January 2017
The Children's Center will be closing May 26, 2017. Due to the major renovation of the entire Jones Education Building, it has become clear that it will not be possible to offer a safe, quiet and comfortable space for the children’s center during the lengthy construction process. Because of this, we have made the difficult decision to close Idlewild Children’s Center at the end of the school year in May. Our last day will be Friday, May 26, 2017. Construction is scheduled to begin in the fall. The Center will reopen in the future, no sooner than Fall 2018.
Read Pastor Steve's letter about the closing.
Update - December 2016
2016 was a monumental year with the completion of a capital campaign and the beginning of the final design for the building project. The building committee is pleased to report that plans are progressing. The session approved the Architectural and Engineering services agreement with br3s architects. Predesign studies are complete, and the schematic design phase will be wrapped up in the next few months. We anticipate selecting a general contractor to join the project team in early 2017 to assist with pre-construction services.
Our preliminary schedule projects construction will begin in the fall of 2017. Phase one of construction, which includes the new Children’s Center, will most likely be completed in June 2018, and we expect the final project to be finished by the end of 2018. Stay tuned for opportunities to learn more and participate in the future of Idlewild throughout 2017. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact a member of the committee.
Update - September 2016
Click here to read the complete update.
The preplanning process is progressing as expected. The architectural firm is brg3s. To start with, all architectural/building plans for the existing buildings have to be digitized and studied. The Jones Building is being examined to see if structural changes are needed. The Building Committee is involved in all aspects. During both planning and building, the Session will review and approve phases as needed.